Here are some questions that we are frequently asked in our Richmond, Virginia law practice.

  • What kind of insurance should I carry on my home and automobile?
  • How is my settlement amount computed?
  • What is a wrongful death action?
  • If I was partially responsible for my accident, may I still sue?
  • Are there any defenses to a DUI action?
  • Must I stop if I have been involved in a motor vehicle accident?
  • What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

Giving clients the attention they deserve

We are experienced attorneys ready to represent you for personal injury or criminal matter. Contact us to discuss your case at (804) 282-1212, on our toll-free number at (800) 229-1214, or contact us online.

What kind of insurance should I carry on my home and automobile?

We generally recommend that you purchase the maximum amount of insurance on your car and home that you can afford. An umbrella policy on your home may extend coverage to your automobile. This will protect you when there is an accident caused by a driver or a motor vehicle who does not carry sufficient insurance to cover the injuries you sustained. Uninsured/underinsured allows you to collect from your own insurance company in this case if you have higher policy limits.

How is my settlement amount computed?

One of our experienced personal injury lawyer reviews and interprets your case information to determine the approximate value of your claim. There are many factors in the calculation, such as:

  • Strength of the legal issues in your case
  • Quality of witness statements and testimony
  • Type of injury
  • Permanent physical limitations as a result of the injury
  • Prognosis for recovery
  • Pain and suffering, past and future
  • Medical bills, past and future
  • Loss of income
  • Objective vs. subjective injuries
  • Impact on future earning capacity
  • Your age
  • Activities in which you can no longer participate
  • Amount of insurance that is available
  • Jurisdiction where a case would be tried if a case where to be filed

What is a wrongful death action?

When a person’s death occurs due to the negligence of another, the executor can bring a wrongful death action on behalf of the survivors. There is a two year statue of limitations that begins with the date of death. Damages can include:

  • Funeral Expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Hospital and medical expenses
  • Loss of companionship
  • Loss of decedent’s income